[H-GEN] cable, permanent dialup, adsl and other options

Hilton Travis QuarkAudioVisual at email.com
Mon Mar 5 02:52:30 EST 2001

Hi Johann,

Johann Kwiatkowski, on Monday, 5 March 2001 1:10 PM
channelled the following:

> Hi all,
> I'm sure one or many of you may have come across this
> problem. My company presently has a permanent dialup
> connection, which I was assigned several ip addresses,
> so I was able to set up a small mail and web server.
> This runs fine for what we do, however downloading is
> slow, and the amount we download, cable was a better
> option, but I have since found out that you can't get
> any permanent ip addresses. crap I said to myself. The
> operator that I talked to (one of many) mentioned that
> I could go via a third party and do dynamic to static
> ip translation or something, which sounded fine, but
> there is the catch of having an extra suffice at the
> end of the domain name.

Actually, this is not correct.  If you wish to connect a LAN to a
Telstra Cable connection, or run servers on a Telstra Cable connection,
then you cannot connect to the "Freedom" plan - you need to be connected
to one of their business plans.  These plans allow for up to 8 static
IPs.  So a Telstra business Cable connection would suit your needs.

> So my question is there any other options in this
> price range, ADSL is apparently the same. I've heard
> of ISDN but that sounded expensive. I could host my
> domain name somewhere, but for my needs I might as
> well keep what I've got. I know I never get many hits
> on the webpage, so I'm not too concern about that,
> and I've never problems sending email.
>
> any suggestions, comments, annecdotes about what I
> might be able to do would be appreciated

ADSL from Telstra provides static IPs AFAIK, but the service is less
than impressive, from what I hear.  iPrimus may be able to provide ADSL
to you (where are you actually located), but I hear their service and
staff are rather lacking in performance.  ISDN is expensive thanks to an
unnamed monopoly.

If you go for a Telstra Cable Business connection, then you are set.
You only need the one static public IP address.
1. Connect a router/firewall (such as an lrp box) up to the cable
connection
2. The static public IP is allocated to eth0
3. eth1 is used for your LAN (private IPs from dhcpd on lrp box)
4. eth2 is configured as a DMZ (static or dynamic private IPs)
5. port-forward thru lrp/firewall to the DMZ for the www, mail, etc
services
6. run your LAN from behind the firewall/router.  Nice and secure (even
more so when I get 2.4.2 and iptables working on lrp properly)

Regards,
Hilton