[H-GEN] optus speed?

Steven McIntyre stev at uq.net.au
Tue Jul 31 04:02:43 EDT 2001

> You're on a shared network, so expect varing throughput.
>
> Best I've seen with optus cable is nearly 400 kbytes/sec FTP download
> from mirror.aarnet.edu.au (which is on the Optus backbone), and this
> was back when that site was located in Brisbane (now it's in Canberra).
>
> At other times, I've had downloads from the same site nearly ten times
> slower than that.

  Keep in mind that the Southern Pacific cable was accidentally severed
over the weekend.  We had significant disruption to our cable modem service
here for part of the weekend.  Refer to www.slashdot.org if you want to
read more.  What I read suggested a repair could be close to 2 weeks away.

--

Steven McIntyre
stev at uq.net.au