[H-GEN] HEADS UP: Debian for Kids

David Findlay david_j_findlay at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jul 28 04:24:48 EDT 2001

On Saturday 28 July 2001 18:12, Robert Brockway hit his keyboard with his
head and the result was this:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, David Findlay wrote:
> > In 1996 I started using Linux, on a nice little dinky 386. I forget what
> > the speed was, but i think it had 8Mb RAM.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I ran X Window System, and Emacs. I couldn't download much else on my
> > slow old modem. I also played with Lincity. So you can do stuff.
>
> When I was a lad...
>
> Serious, in 1994 I was running Linux on a 486DX-33 with 4Mb of ram.  I ran
> X11R5 and ran slip (later ppp) on a 2400bps modem :)

This all proves that it can be done. It may not be fast, but these kids don't
have a chance to get anything else. So at least whatever we can figure out
will help them learn to use a computer properly(i.e. Learn Linux).

David