[H-GEN] xinetd and Cyrus IMAP

Doug South dsouth at trontos.com
Tue Jul 10 01:01:13 EDT 2001

I'm trying to install Cyrus IMAP on machine and all goes well until
I try to test the server. I think the problem is that I don't understand
the format for configuring xinetd.

If I try to telnet onto port 143, I get a refused connection. Checking
the log, gives me:

Jul 10 14:46:38 trontos3 imapd: could not getenv(CYRUS_SERVICE); exiting

If I run cyrus directly, I get something:

[root at trontos3 /root]# imapd
* OK trontos3 IMAP4rev1 v12.264 server ready

Which leads me to believe that I've mucked up the xinetd configuration.
>From the Cyrus HOWTO for inetd:

imap    stream  tcp     nowait  cyrus   /usr/cyrus/bin/imapd    imapd

What I've given xinetd:

service imap
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = cyrus
        server                  = /usr/cyrus/bin/imapd
        log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        disable                 = no
}

Any clues?