[H-GEN] Red Hat rpm management

Douglas Alan South dsouth at trontos.com
Fri Jul 6 21:28:16 EDT 2001

Douglas Alan South wrote:

> Or, I could copy all the rpm's I want to a directory, then "rpm -i
> --nodeps -h --replacepkgs --test *.rpm" and rm all packages that cause
> rpm to complain about conflicts. When test finishes with no conflicts,
> remove the "--test" flag and sit back for awhile. Brute force works. 8)
> I suppose I could have done without the test flag to begin with?

Which all just worked wonderfully except for one minor flaw. The kernel
was reinstalled.

Next boot after successfully loading new rpms:

LILO: I'll just load up this... huh? Hmm, not a kernel, I'll just hang
out of a bit then.

D'oh!

The moral of the story is to either:

a) Always have a boot disk for all you boxes,
b) neuroticly run lilo after any major change, or
c) at least write down on a piece of paper that is placed in a safe
place where you'll remember to find it (like taped to the front/top of
the box in question) the location of the root partition.

Suffice to say, I got the root partition on the 4th try. 8(

Regards,
Doug