[H-GEN] Computing without GUI

David Jericho davidj at webmatchit.com.au
Sun Jan 28 19:12:40 EST 2001

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 01:34:09AM +1000, Benjamin Robert Carlyle wrote:
> An email to let people know I'm still alive after the
> honeymoon ordeal:

Glad to see you both came back alive, well and happy :)

> such a small machine.  Debian is a much simpler system and
> unlike Redhat does not have it's configuration system tied
> closely with a GUI.  The packaging systems are simple and
> robust, and quite easy to manage.   Although I find it easier
> to "less /var/lib/dpkg/available" and use apt than use dselect
> directly, the system as a whole is very good.  I thouroughly
> recommend it.

For my home systems, I find it far eaiser to use RedHat. To put it simply,
there are _very_ few debian package maintainers, that IMHO actually do a good
job, and do it right (Hiya aj). That problem in my eyes mostly wrote off the
advantages of apt. I don't use redhat-contrib either.

RedHat has a perfectly functional console based package utility.

Not having run Debian in the last 1 1/2 years, I don't know if any advances
have been made towards making compiling your own debs much easier, but I
always found RPMs incredibly easy to roll.

If you're someone that really likes to tinker with their systems, and they're
something that you play with endlessly, debian is probably the system for you.

If you're the set and forget type, short of security updates, something like
RedHat is just as good.

Plus, I like the the fedora. :)

--
David Jericho, Systems Administrator