[H-GEN] Re: linux.conf.au

David Starkoff dbs at humbug.org.au
Tue Jan 23 01:08:33 EST 2001

At 2001-01-23T12:59+1100, Martin Pool wrote:

> I think (since it's easier to speculate than check :) that the
> trademark ended up with SCO, who were bought by Caldera, and so Linux
> now owns Unix.

Currently residing in Caldera country, being in the current employ of
one of the past holders of the UNIX mark and, most importantly, being
mildly bored, I feel tempted to interject.

I don't think this is the case.  Novell acquired the UNIX mark with Unix
System Labs on 16 June 1993, but transferred the UNIX registered trade
mark and the Single Unix Specification to X/Open in late 1993.  X/Open
merged with OSF to become The Open Group in 1996.

  http://www.unix-systems.org/what_is_unix/history_timeline.html

Recent press releases from Caldera indicate that the trademark does
belong to The Open Group.

  http://ir.caldera.com/wc/form/P1?template=ir/CALD/view_article&Symbol=CALD&first=&ArticleID=SM-CALD-20001106
  http://ir.caldera.com/wc/form/P1?template=ir/CALD/view_article&Symbol=CALD&first=&ArticleID=SM-CALD-20000811b
  http://ir.caldera.com/wc/form/P1?template=ir/CALD/view_article&Symbol=CALD&first=&ArticleID=SM-CALD-20000802

And, for those of you playing along at home, for The Open Group's
guidelines for using the UNIX mark, see:

  http://www.unix-systems.org/questions_answers/can_i_use_the_trade_mark.html
  http://www.unix-systems.org/trademark.html

David.
--