[H-GEN] Riva TNT2 and DRI Issues under X

Ben Fowler b1.fowler at student.qut.edu.au
Sun Jan 7 04:01:27 EST 2001

Hi All,

I've got some annoying issues with some 3D video hardware I'm trying to
get working under XFree86 4.0.1 under Red Hat 7.

I've the lucky owner of a RIVA TNT2 M64 video card with 32 megs of video
RAM.  This normally is a reasonable piece of hardare, but I'm having my fair
share of problems.  I've achieved the following:

* Downloaded the NVidia supplied Detonator3 drivers (GLX and kernel drivers)
   as tarballs, and gotten them compiled, patched and and installed.  The
   Nvidia DRI module is loaded fine (it shows up when I type lsmod)

   BTW if it helps, I'm using a 2.4.0 kernel, so I needed to apply a specially
    supplied patch to the DRI kernel driver sources to get it compiling and
    working properly.

* I've configured X to use it.  As per the documentation, I configured Xfree
   to use the "nvidia" rather than the "nv" driver.

The following works:

* I've gotten X to start at a reduced resolution, and I can run some GL hacks
   from Xscreensaver (and they run fast!).

The following wither is broken outright, or just sucks:

* Unlike before, I can't seem to get X to use a mode above 1024x768.  If I
   attempt to use a higher mode, Xfree claims it cannot use the mode.  I
   _know_ this card is capable of far higher resolutions.
* The server flickers for about 5 seconds before properly starting the server.
   No amount of stuffing around has fixed this :(  Any ideas people?
* The GL hacks run within windows, but unlike the software implementation of
   Mesa, you cannot drag the contents of the window(!).  The window itself
   can be moved, but GL drawables stay where they are.  This appears to be a
   major bug, anyone know anything about this?

I'd appreciate any help, suggestions, pointers or anecdotes anyone can share
 about getting DRI to dance for me.  Thanks for your time.

-warmest regards,

Ben.

--
  Ben Fowler   email: <fowlerb at optushome.com.au>  pgp/gpg key id: FFDE6AF7