[H-GEN] Installing Interbase on RH6.1

David Duffy avd at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Mon Feb 26 00:56:49 EST 2001

> > Brent wrote:
> > >As the gds_db uses inetd it only runs when it gets a connection to
> it's port
> > >(3050). The easiest was it to use a port scanning program like nmap or to
> > >telnet to port 3050 on the host machine.
> >
> > Hmmm... no response on that port number. Wait! Could the firewall rules
> > be stopping access to that port even on the internal network?
> > Regards...
> >

>Yes, if the firewall is blocking port 3050 on the local interface.
>
>The best way is to check it on the machine that is running  interbase eg
>telnet
>localhost 3050.
>
>Another thing to check is you inetd.conf.
>
>make sure you have and entry something like this
>gds_db  stream tcp nowait.30000  root  /usr/local/sbin/gds_inet_server
>gds_inet_server
>
>also make sure you you have restarted inetd.

OK, got that part working now. I can test the connection via IBConsole
(Windows) or via Jason's netstat command on the Linux box.
Now all I need to do is figure out how to create a Interbase database!
It's all looking very foreign after using the BDE and Paradox tables.
Might be time to read some more & ask on the ib-support list. :-)
Thanks for your help so far...

David Duffy        Audio Visual Devices P/L
U8, 9-11 Trade St, Cleveland 4163 Australia
Ph: +61 7 38210362   Fax: +61 7 38210281
New Web: www.audiovisualdevices.com.au