[H-GEN] Stopping nameserver lookup for local subnet

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Wed Feb 14 21:21:18 EST 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, John Ryland wrote:

[Please don't Cc me on list replies.  Thanks.]
> There is no way he needs to run a DNS server at home. Even he his network
> grows to 10 computers, syncing 10 /etc/hosts files is not hard. That is just
> way overkill.

With all due respect:  you're mad.  Rsync or scp may make it easier
to make edits, but if you're going to build infrastructure, you may
as well learn something useful.  (Not to mention it will cut down on
name lookup traffic.)  Host files are for people into pain.

> I have a masq box I use at home which is a 486 that has no HDD. It boots off
> a floppy. Do you think I bother running a DNS server on it?

*sigh*  The masq box does *NOT* need to run the nameserver.  I think
I may have mentioned this already.

jason
--
[It] seems to me the life of a middle aged male is a race between
hair falling out of its own accord and getting ripped out over stress