[H-GEN] Stopping nameserver lookup for local subnet

Rob Kearey mammal at optushome.com.au
Wed Feb 14 20:48:45 EST 2001

John Ryland wrote:

> There is no way he needs to run a DNS server at home. Even he his network
> grows to 10 computers, syncing 10 /etc/hosts files is not hard. That is just
> way overkill.

It's the learning experience that is valuable. On a home network, if you
stuff things up, then PHB's don't apoear at your door and Say Things.

No production palace worth it's salt, anywhere on Earth, would still use
hosts files. As above, so below or something of that kidney.

> I have a masq box I use at home which is a 486 that has no HDD. It boots off
> a floppy. Do you think I bother running a DNS server on it?

I do. I must be a lunatic. I'm a teapot! I'm a teapot!

--
Rob K
http://members.optushome.com.au/mammal