[H-GEN] Case Sensitivity

Martin Pool mbp at linuxcare.com.au
Mon Feb 12 18:10:52 EST 2001

On 13 Feb 2001, David Duffy <avd at audiovisualdevices.com.au> wrote:

> It's even weirder than that! If I rename "TEST" to "testing" then to "test"
> it still jumps back to the previous case - almost like it's caching it?
> But... if I can create a new file in whatever case I like. If you then rename
> it a couple of times it turns to all upper case. I might just have to fix the
> case of the wrong ones directly on the Linux machine. Oh well.  :-(
> Hmmm... how do I set the mangled options just for the web directory?
> Regards...

No, I think here you are falling afoul of the all-lower-case
``feature''.  If you renamed "TEST" to "testing" to "TeSt", then I
think it will end up in the way you want.  Apparently Windows can't
believe you would want something as simple as a name in all-upper or
all-lower case.

Obligatory Linux Content for Jason: there is some discussion about a
vfs-level mount option in the 2.4 kernel that makes filesystems
squish-case or ignore-case regardless of what their native behaviour
is.  Linus muttered something about Windows users needing more rope.

--
Martin Pool, Human Resource
Linuxcare. Inc.   +61 2 6262 8990