[H-GEN] Problem using Ghost to rollout/clone Linux systems

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sun Aug 26 22:24:20 EDT 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Ewan Edwards wrote:

> Reasons for not trying first;
> It would mean taking the HDDs from both the original machine and the
> potential clone and putting them into a third machine already running
> Linux / Unix.  A time and resource consuming process compared to using

Fair enough :)

> Ghost, but certainly not out of the question.  With Ghost I can get an
> image off the 8.4Gb disc in 15-20min and clone a new system in about
> 7min over the network.   Theoretically, Ghost will also allow me to
> adjust partition sizes when cloning to different size HDDs.

The more I learn about ghost theless like dd it seems :)  Sounds like it
is guaranted to screw the bootloader (which relies on the exact physical
location of the kernel image as mentioned earlier).

> > What number do they display?  It'll be something like 03:01 or 08:01.
>
> The number is either 08:01 or 08:04 - don't remember exactly, will
> check when I get into the office.

The numbers are major:minor.  IDE devices should come out as 03:xx and
SCSI devices as 08:xx

> Having thought about it a bit more, I'm going to try creating a boot
> discette from the original machine (mkbootdisk), boot with that and
> then re-run lilo to see if that will fix it.  (May not bother though if
> booting with "Linux root=/dev/hda1" works.)

This should work depending on how badly the boot process is screwed.  In
any case you can boot from a CD and use lilo -r to remake lilo on a
mounted filesystem, or just use the bootfloppy you mentioned.

Tell me how it goes Ewan.
Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   Linux counter project ID #16440 (http://www.li.org)
   blake: up 14 days, 10:57,  9 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00