[H-GEN] Spurious 8259A interrupt

Steven McIntyre stev at uq.net.au
Fri Aug 24 06:44:39 EDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 05:35:51PM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]

<chopping text for sanity reasons>
> On 23 Aug 2001, Christopher Biggs wrote:
> > If it's an internal (possibly "plug-and-pray") modem which appears as
> > a third (or subsequent) serial port, it may be connecting itself to
> > IRQ 7, in which case you'd need to use the setserial(8) utility at
> Ooh, that's evil :)  Just typical though :)  Traditionally irq 2 & 5 tend
> to go to the 3rd & 4th serial devices but these days why not just rip off
> irq 7 :)

> Or irq could be locked out as 'legacy ISA' in the BIOS, to give it back to
> the printer (if it needs it).

  Out of curiousity I wouldn't mind knowing the output from:
  ls -la /dev/modem

  Months of working has taught me to look at the blatantly obvious first,
as customers are usually very stupid :)

  Now that I've said I'd be very surprised if Redhat setup a symbolic
link for /dev/modem to point to the first parallel port...

--

Steven McIntyre
stev at uq.net.au