[H-GEN] Vi (well, Vim) or Emacs (Jove suggested)?

Sarah Bernadette Kelly sbk98 at uow.edu.au
Wed Aug 22 19:19:41 EDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> But euh... like they said: take the right tool for the right job.
> Don't write a C program to parse a textfile, use Perl for that.
> And don't use Perl to design a webserver in, use C for that.
> And if you like C to parse a textfile, feel free. Same with editors.

Tell WebCT that! That stupid piece of #%^* that I have to help maintain
is programmed entirely in perl. Every single page is generated. We
recently had to move it off a E450 to a dedicated E5500 just to make the
silly thing behave. It does work very nicely now. Still, wish we had
access to UQ's E10000 that THEY have WebCT on. We don't even own one.
*sigh* <end of rant>

I totally agree though. I learnt python before perl, they each have
their pros and cons, but I would use perl for anything that was
primarily text processing, and Python for just about anything else that
is appropriate to a scripting language. Before you start on a defense of
perl, I learnt python first. I'm used to python. I'm learning perl for
an assignment, and it keeps breaking. I program faster in python at the
moment. Hence it is a better tool at the moment.

Sarah