[H-GEN] Vi (well, Vim) or Emacs (Jove suggested)?

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Wed Aug 22 04:56:46 EDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 06:08:11PM +1000, Ben Fowler wrote:

> I think Chris got it in one: Emacs is tremendously useful in doing any
> number of fancy and nontrivial tasks relating to text editing.  When
> doing extended hacking under UNIX, I use it exclusively. OTOH, vi is
> great for quick editing jobs; good, since you don't slow yourself down
> by having your fingers leave the keyboard (or home row for that matter)
> for the mouse.

Well, I use both (of course!) and I don't have to take my fingers away
from home row (all you non-home-row typists out there should *learn*,
dammit, you'll type *much* faster) at all.  Simply don't use a rodent.

> Emacs is a lot friendlier for customization, provided
> that you know the Emacs LISP variant.

Emacs 21 (available if one knows where (or how) to look) strikes me as
adequately customisable without knowing any LISP, and one tends to pick
it up along the way in any event.

jason
--
| There are no atheists when your                      jasonp at uq.net.au |