[H-GEN] FSF Emacs 21.0.104 Sneak Peek

Ben Fowler fowlerb at optushome.com.au
Wed Aug 8 12:06:10 EDT 2001

Hi all,

If you don't know already, the GNU Emacs development team are working
hard on the next major release of Emacs, 21, due out later this year.

Take a look at the screenshots at:

http://userlocal.com/articles/emacs21sp/emacs21sp.shtml

It appears from a cursory glance that GNU Emacs has received a massive
usability overhaul.  I discovered many features, including mousewheel
support (mouse-wheel-mode 1), tooltips, nice icons, saner defaults with
fonts and colours, and major enhancements to font-lock, GNUS and other
things.  Another interesting thing I thought was cute, is that
various mouseclicks on areas on the modeline do various neat things.

Disappointly, while the application has the appearance of a GTK/GNOME
application, it actually dosen't use them at all.  It just tries hard
to not look ugly.  The tradeoff is that compiling it is easy, because
the thing dosen't have a zillion dependancies.  BTW if you do decide to
compile it and install it, I'd recommend you try compiling against Xaw3d
or Motif, since by default, the scrollbars are butt-ugly.

You have find the sources at:

http://people.debian.org/~kitame/emacs21/

Have fun!

-regards,