[H-GEN] What size swap space is optimum?

Paul Gearon pag at PISoftware.com
Mon Apr 23 03:49:39 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Webmaster wrote:

> Ten months ago when I was a Linux newbie ;-) I read all of the expert tomes I
> could find during installation. The advice given regarding an optimum size
> for swap space was rather conflicting. The most well-argued I came across said
> that it should not exceed twice the size of system RAM, otherwise the SS
> manager would spend more time looking after it than getting things done, and
> that a swap partition equal to RAM could be optimum. Seemed reasonable, and
> since it was the only suggestion that put an UPPER limit on the partition size,
> I first experimented with 2 x RAM and at present use 1 x RAM. I now think that
> this may be too small.
>
> Any words of wisdom from the Assembled Gurus out there in CyberSpace?

It depends on the kernel you are running.  I can't remember what is
optimum for 2.2.x, though IIRC you can use pretty much any value and the
kernel will work with it.

That being said, 2.4.x is a very different beast.  There's been a bit of
discussion about this on the kernel mailing list in recent weeks.  With
the 2.4.x kernels you require at least 2 x RAM.  If you have any less then
Linus says it won't get used.  (I normally take Linus's word on these
things at face value, since if ANYONE is going to know about memory
management, it's probably him - or Rik, but Rik didn't disagree, so Linus
probably got it right :-)

Regards,
Paul Gearon
pag at PISoftware.com

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")