[H-GEN] newbie setting up Debian

Mark Venz s346274 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Apr 4 21:53:43 EDT 2001

Hi,

I'm tring to get gnome (among other things) working on a debian install.

I've agt-get installed "gnome-session" and it has appeared to install everything
( after having to apt-get -f install)

The problem I'm having is I have no gnome - do have all the packages I require?
Is the a meta package I need to install?

Further to this I was able to log in via xdm, after I did the above, when I
logged in I would be returned to the login screen.

I changed the default run level in /etc/inittab to 2, then entered startx and
recieved the twm test screen (3 different size xterms, a clock).
I change the runlevel to 3 with no change.

So the questions:
How can start in X?
How can I luanch into a advanced window manager?

system details:
Debain Linux 2.2 - I think the kernal is woody.
X -version 4.0.3

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

--
		Humans always do the most intelligent thing
		after every stupid alternative has failed.