[H-GEN] Linux and Partitions

Rob Kearey mammal at optushome.com.au
Mon Sep 25 20:00:12 EDT 2000

Stephen Thorne wrote:

> This was in the install phase, manually selecting packages, not post-install.

> When browsing through what had been preselected, zip and unzip were there,
> but not tar and gunzip. nor was bzip2.

I have never, ever come across an installation of RH, default install or
custom, that didn't have the full suite of GNU utilities installed. Are
you sure you weren't playing with a Solaris box by mistake?

God, I hate Linux distribution and Linux/BSD advocacy flamewars. And
bugger your bloody Amiga. And sod your bloody Acorn. I was having this
same conversation in 1984 regarding Atari 800's and Commodore 64's.
Microbee 64 4-Eva!

For what it's worth, I installed Debian 2.2 the other day, and it's a
tremendous improvement. No more dselect! Hurrah! I'm now running a
Debian and a RH 7 machine here, and I'm very pleased with both of them.
I still prefer RH, but I love apt.

--
Rob Kearey
President, Queensland University Musical Society