[H-GEN] Linux Problems

Sandra Milne silne at bit.net.au
Wed Sep 6 06:21:15 EDT 2000

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Frank Brand wrote:

> For example I dial in and try to connect to uq but the connection is not
> established and a message in my ppp log file indicates that the request
> by the modem for configuration was never returned. In addition, I drop a
> lot of connections after 30 mins, 1 hour or some such. I noticed a lot
> of these problem when I went to a Web-Excel 56 Kb modem which behaves
> impecably under Windows 9X. If I use Linux for a month my phone bill is
> $10 more than if I use Windows for a month.

i had this problem, but in my case it misbehaved just as badly under
windows. i took my modem back after a week and got it changed for an acer
surf modem. it works FINE and it's only $10 more than the webexcel.

> Further, I am getting absolutely woeful performance using Netscape in
> Linux over Netscape in Win. The settings for both are the same.

Well i can't help with this as the windows machine does NOT run netscape
under any circumstances. i do not like netscape.... my brother (who is the
predominant user of the machine) is free to install opera or lynx if he
suddenly decides he doesn't like Internet Extorter.

> I am using Red Hat 6.2 ... is anyone else observing the same behaviour.
> It is getting to the stage that ...when on the Internet, I use Windows
> for stability ... and you can imagine how difficult that is to
> contemplate.

i suggest getting a replacement modem.

Sandra.