[H-GEN] VNC

Benjamin Robert Carlyle benc at foxboro.com.au
Mon Sep 4 03:26:35 EDT 2000

Chris,

Another program I find useful having an NT and linux
box both on my desk is x2vnc.  It uses the VNC protocols
and technolgy to allow a single keyboard/mouse
combination to access both displays.  It's not very
advanced, but does the job that it does quite well.
Install the VNC server on box A, then start x2vnc on
box B.  You can now access both A and B using the keyboard and
mouse of box B.

Beware that vnc is a "screen-scraping" technology,
so if many such sessions are running on a network it
may cause performance degredation.  Other programs
of interest include vmware (www.vmware.com), a commercial
program to run other operating systems within your
favorite box (including Solaris or NT), and of course
good old wine (http://www.winehq.com/) which we haven't
really heard much about lately.

Benjamin.