[H-GEN] [Fwd: scsi card]

Stephen Thorne sjthorne at ozemail.com.au
Sun Oct 1 09:59:39 EDT 2000

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 11:23:19PM -0700, Sarah Hollings wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Can anyone help me with getting a scsi card working under linux?
>
> I needed a cheap isa scsi card (pci slots are all full) with a db25
> connector for a zip drive and a friend gave me a dodgy old freebie that
> apparently comes with umax scanners.  So if I have to go buy a scsi card
> that has actual support under linux I guess I will, but that seems too
> much like giving up   ;-}
>
> The card came to me in a plain brown box labelled "UDS-IS11", P/N
> -970160-16
>
> With a bit of research I located this site:
> http://support.umax.co.uk/technotes/f096B.htm
>
> Which tells me the card is a dtc-3181le and can be set up under linux
> using:
>         insmod g_NCR5380 ncr_irq=255 ncr_addr=0x280 dtc_3181e=1
>
> Running this however causes my linux box to hang totally, so it won't
> respond to any keystrokes, mouse cursor is frozen, total freeze and hard
> reset required.
>
> I suppose at least that says the driver is finding the device, just
> doing something very wrong.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Sarah
Before you try anything else, make sure the sysrq key is enabled in
your kernel. Many a time its possible to still sync, unmount and
reboot your system even though it seems to have (and may well have)
locked.

I can't remember the keystrokes offhand, but its something like
control-sysrq(this is the same key as the printscreen)-s to sync
ctrl-sysrq-u to unmount
ctrl-sysrq-b to reboot

check the documentation.

Then again, it may be possible that insmodding that particular
module will kill the kernel entirely, in which case, no amount
of key combinatins will save you frm the fsck monster..

Steve.

while `sleep 1`; do sync; done
^^ another gem I picked up watching andrae debug a video card -
even if you can't save the system, you can be sure it was synced.