[H-GEN] Modem problems under Mandrake 7.1

David Underwood daveu at ozemail.com.au
Thu Nov 30 18:25:26 EST 2000

Hello fine people. I was wondering if there would be someone out there who
might be able to assist me.

I am new to Linux and have gone with Mandrake as it appears to be regarded
as the most user friendly distro for those migrating from Windows. I had
originally tried Red Hat 6.2 from a magazine cover CD and while I did not
have a modem problem I did have lots of trouble configuring other devices
(ie soundcard).

The problem I have is in connecting to the net (KPPP or GPPP doesn't
matter).

At this stage I am able to offer this information.

I have a Zoom Telephonics i2829 modem, (internal PnP). Mandrake Tech support
advise that there are no modules or drivers for this modem, (strange as it
worked under Red Hat)

Under DOS the modem is connected to Com3 assigned IRQ 5, I/O 03E8 - 03EF

/dev/modem is linked to ttys02

setserial -a returns the following infromation

/dev/modem, Line 2, UART: 16550A, Port 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
Baud_base 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor:0
Closing_wait: 3000, Flags: spd_normal skip_test

echo "ATDT\n" >/dev/modem

returns no response

Using KPPP modem is set to /dev/modem yet if I 'query' the modem it tells me
that the modem does not respond.

I have been reading the Modem HOWTO on Linux.com, browsing the relevant
chapters on Modem and PPP from "Using Linux" by Bill Ball, Que Publicaions
and Linux Unleashed Third edition, Tim Parker, Sams Publications.

I am at a loss as to wher to go from here.

More than happy to provide any ino that may be useful re other hardware on
my system.