[H-GEN] any ideas for cluster filesystem solution ?

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Thu Nov 9 19:34:56 EST 2000

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Eric HORNSBY wrote:

> Well yes...that's what I did first - but I figured since the data was
> already RAID 5 protected such duplication was basically a waste of drive
> space
> I would also really like both web servers to be able to share a common log
> - but maybe I need to think about building a log server ?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "no single point of failure" at this
stage.

1) Your two web servers are depending on the one RAID device.
2) Both web servers are physically right next to each other
3) Both web servers use the same network connection
4) If you create a single log server, you have a third machine to worry
   about the availability of, and a single point of failure for logging.

etc.

It's far more likely you will have network outages than even a single
machine outage, for a start.  If something blows up, it's just as likely
to be the RAID array as one of the machines using it.  If you lose power,
both machines will die at the same time, not to mention your networking
equipment.

Perhaps you want to rethink why you feel two servers gives you any
additional reliability in the first place?

Oh, and logfiles are easy to merge.  Keep the clocks synced and you can
merge them with accuracy as close as a network log would produce.

--
bje