[H-GEN] any ideas for cluster filesystem solution ?

Eric HORNSBY e.hornsby at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 01:30:22 EST 2000

Hi all

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have two RedHat Linux boxes that connect to the same Fibre Channel
RAID array.  They are both webservers in a basic cluster - with a
heartbeat between them to provide for IP address takeover if one fails.

What I would really like is for them to both be able to serve webpages
from the same filesystem on the array - preferably without a single point
of failure.  I've looked a bit at using NFS and also CODA, but neither
seems quite right.  The RAID hardware I'm using doesn't seem to have
the DLOCK support needed for GFS.

I've tried just having an ext2 filesystem on the array
with one server mounting it readonly, but any updates made by the other
server are not visible to the readonly server until apache is stopped and
restarted (with the array umounted and re-mounted in between)...there must
be a better way...this is not so good because the web pages are updated
every half hour or so from a staging server using rsync over ssh.

I'm looking for ideas...any suggestions, war-stories etc would be
very welcome.

thanks for your time
Eric