[H-GEN] In office scheduling program...

Andrew Draper ajdraper at uq.net.au
Wed May 31 19:47:57 EDT 2000

Hello all,

I'm interested in setting up a small network for 4 - 8 people, and
wish to run some kind of appointment book thingo.

The basic requirements are that everyone should have their own
appointment book, but some people have access and authority to make
and change appointments for others, and others only being able to
view. It would be nice to be able to mark private and public appointments.

Aside from myself, the other users are not at all familiar with
computers, so ease and simplicity is what they need.

Having the ability to sync with a palm would be great also.

My Current Runners are...

StarOffice Starchedule + Starschedule Server
Has Anyone used Starchedule Server?
Does Anyone have the server? It cannot be downloaded and is only on
the CD Distribution of StarOffice.
Does this represent good value? Is it as scalable and configurable as
could be hoped? Did it fulfil your expectations? (Also, what is the
cost of Staroffice™ Media Kit in Australia?)

Gnome-PIM (Not quite yet)
Doesn't seem to allow for a "calendar server" thingo yet, but I hear
it is a planned feature.
Does sync to palms.

Plan
Ugly. Hard to use.

Ical
Ugly. Hard to use.

Web-Based...
Kludgey for what we're planning to use it for. Likely to be too
fiddly.

Self Designed postgresql system with gnome-ish interface?
Well, I would need to start learning all sorts of stuff for that. It's
not out of the question though. Could well end up being our best
option in the end.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance...

Andrew