[H-GEN] FAT32 HDD access

David Duffy avd at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Tue May 30 19:54:08 EDT 2000

> > Hi all,
> > What I want to do is install an extra 10GB HDD in my Linux box
> > that can be accessed by the Win98SE machines on the LAN.
> > I wanted to format it as FAT32 so that it can be swapped into
> > a Win98SE machine (it's in a carrier) in the event of me trashing
> > my Linux partition. (quite possible at this early learning stage!)
> > The new 10GB drive will have data on it that gets used frequently
> > during the day so I can't afford the downtime or the possibility of
> > data loss in the event I muck things up. Does this make sense?
> > Thanks...

Joel Michael wrote; (also thanks to Jason McDonald)
>Your best bet would be to format the drive in said windows machine and
>later install it in the linux box.  Make sure you have the vfat driver
>either in-kernel or (preferably) as a module.  look at /proc/filesystems
>( run "cat /proc/filesystems") for an entry called "vfat", or look in
>"/lib/modules/`uname -r`/fs/" for a file called "vfat.o".  If both these
>checks fail, try manually loading the vfat module (just in case you have
>it in a strange place) - run "modprobe vfat".  If this fails, you will
>have to recompile your kernel with vfat filesystem support.  Once you
>have determined that you have the vfat module available, simply mount
>the partition somewhere, and do what you will with it.  just be aware
>that it will only be good for storing stuff, not running stuff, as the
>vfat filesystem lacks important things (to the UNIX world, at least)
>like file permissions and symlinks.  if you want the drive mounted on
>boot, just add an entry to your /etc/fstab, similar to the / and any
>other file systems you have in there, except change the fstype to vfat
>and the numbers at the end both to 0.

OK, I've formatted it. (The BIOS only took it to be 8GB but that's OK)
I've mounted it & can access it just fine on the Linux (RH 6.2) box.
I set up a disk share in Samba to share it over the Win98SE network.
But... unless I set it to "public access" I can't get permission to write
to it.
Also, when I set the "allowed hosts" it fails password acceptance.
I've read the man pages but am still a bit confused on how to set it up.
I want R/W access from the Win98SE network but no security problems
as the same Linux box is also the Internet interface/server/mail exchange.
Regards...

David Duffy        Audio Visual Devices P/L
U8, 9-11 Trade St, Cleveland 4163 Australia
Ph: +61 7 38210362   Fax: +61 7 38210281
New Web: www.audiovisualdevices.com.au
New email: avd at audiovisualdevices.com.au