[H-GEN] newbie help

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Fri Mar 31 20:50:45 EST 2000

Craig Eldershaw wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>
> >1: Sound.  Corel uses the kde desktop (on top of what is basically a
>
> Try 'cat /dev/sndstat' to see what of the oss the kernel thinks are
> installed.  If that looks OK, then try getting a small .au file and try
> 'cat sound.au >/dev/audio' to see if that makes any noise.

Hiya Craig,

I am not trying to be cute and I know you are a talented and helpful
respondent but I see this kind of reply often on HUMBUG. How would a
newbie know what looked OK when they ran sndstat? Some newbies are
knowledgable and know these things but the vast majority are not and
would not know whether the output looked good or not. Next year when I
hope to retire I might volunteer to write some docs or manuals because
the documentation and support with Linux is far behind the technical
advances.

Red Hat has a nice little utility called sndconfig which is very useful
but I do not know whether this is in the Debian/Corel distros.

Regards
Frank Brand