[H-GEN] Bigpond Advance (cable)

Robert Stuart rstu at qbssss.edu.au
Mon Mar 27 20:55:54 EST 2000

Hi,

I'm interested in BigPond cable for commercial use (ie not my home
connection).  Where I write BPA I mean BigPond with cable.

I've read  the documentation on the BP web site, but it isn't very clear
about many things.

To people who have had experience with this could you tell me:
1. What are the differences between BPA and getting 128K ISDN?
2. Why would an organisation want BPA over 128K ISDN?
3. What "speeds" do you get from BPA - is it a relatively "slow" link
from customer to Telstra?  Are these sustained speeds or "bursts"?
4. Are there latency issues?
5. Is it reliable?
6. IPs: How does this work?  I saw someone say that its dhcp?  Is it
possible to get a fixed IP subnet?
7. Does anyone understand what Telstra's target market is for BPA
8. How will the preformance of the cable network scale when every person
in Brisbane gets cable internet.
9  Any other issues I should be aware of?
10. Are there any hidden costs?

Thanks for the help.

--
Robert Stuart