[H-GEN] Web development systems

Paul Gearon gearon at computer.org
Fri Mar 24 20:03:48 EST 2000

Luke Grant wrote:
> Depending on what your doing.....but for realy pretty web sights you can't
> go past DHTML/ASP on IIS or JAVA/JSP on apache (under solaris preferably).

No objections to Java/JSP on apache, but I know that he needs something
STABLE, that will work RELIABLY.

ASP on IIS is nice and simple to set up, but I really wouldn't recommend
it for a major project (seriously).  Plus it's non portable (an issue if
the client wants to serve off their UltraSparc, for instance).  But
worst of all, it CRASHES!  Sure, some machines are fine with it, but
others die.... often.  And what can be done to fix it?  Can you get in
and discover the configuration problem?  No!  You re-install it!  What
kind of sick system is that???

Sorry for the rant, but I've used that abortion of a system, and I think
I'd rather take a nap on an ant's nest.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")