[H-GEN] Write allocation on K6 CPU's

Patrick Nichols pat at humbug.org.au
Wed Mar 22 20:03:09 EST 2000

I just upgraded my dial-up router!! to a K6-2 400, and I was wondering if
write allocation is enabled by default in the 2.2.x series of kernels.
(The bios on my board doesn't support it - AOpen AP5T)  While this
processor in a windows machine, I was able to use a utility called
SETK6V2.EXE to enable this feature and speed up memory processes.

Currently I'm running a 2.0.38 kernel on it, and I did a quick search on
the web and found the following links.

http://www.klografx.de/misc/ctx/

Which has a kernel patch for 2.0.36 kernels (can I use this on a 38 one?)

and..

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/

Which has a module which can be loaded to provide Write Allocation on
earlier K6's (not CXT's as mine is)

Ideally I'd like to keep my current setup of slink debian.  Can I use a
2.2.x kernel in slink without upgrading any packages?  (It has been
apt-get upgraded)  Does anybody know if a 2.2.x kernel enables write
allocation for K6's?

And if I can't go that way around it, can I patch a 2.0.38 kernel with the
2.0.36 patch without any dire effects?  Does a 2.0.38 kernel already have
this feature built in?

-pat