[H-GEN] technical problems

Michael s355827 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Mar 13 03:16:09 EST 2000

Hiya everyone,

I am having two seperate problems on my home machines that I can't figure
out and I was wondering if anybody else out there had any suggestions.

1)

Machine, p120 chip, 8mb Ram, 8 speed CDROM drive

When I upgraded the motherboard in this box from a 486dx2/66 one to the
early pentium board the CD ROM drive refuses to work under linux anymore.

Every time I try and mount the CDROM drive now it says

mount failed : no medium found

and refuses to work, I have sampled several different CD's in the drive,
set up the CDROM drive on ide0 and ide1 ports on the mainboard, as both
master and slave drives. Nothing wants to work for it.

I know the CD-ROM drive is an old one and may have died, I just found it
odd that the drive died right when I upgraded the board.

2)
(different machine on this one)
Intel Celeron 366, 32mb RAM Trident 4mb 9750 AGP Video card 4.3gb HD

This machine refuses to start up period, every time I plug everything in
and turn it on the machine sounds like it is starting up properly, nothing
comes on the monitor though, and it just flashes with an orange light.

>From listening inside the case the machine doesn't boot up any further
into anything. A few times I have taken everything out of the case and
remounted it all and tried to clean everything to make it work.

All this will sometimes suceed in doing is to let the machine boot
up. Then however a slight bump on the table/unit/floor will cause the
machine to hang and then sometimes restart. After this happens the machine
will refuse to restart and the monitor will go back to flashing and
refusing to boot up.

I have tried a selection of different other working video cards in the
machine with no luck, I have had the ram chip working another box and the
monitor is also working correcly. So I am guessing the problem is with the
board or the case/CPU.

--

If anybody has any suggestions for the above two problems please email me
back, I would appreciate any help/suggestions anybody could

thanks :)

(and much thanks in advance to anybody who can help, I am out of ideas for
both problems)

--
Michael Ross
Shard                   shard at shadowfire.org
http://shard.cjb.net    irc.shadowfire.org
"How can love ever be called a failure?"
--luminara