[H-GEN] graphics memory and agp cards

Darrin Mison staeci at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 03:14:05 EST 2000

how can I find out if all of the 16meg is potentially available, ie
is X using my card to its full potential or do I have it configured
badly.

I am having difficulties with glide and an AGP banshee for running unreal
tournament.  The glide test programs run but don't actually display
anything and I have to kill them from another xterm.

I installed the glide and banshee drivers downloaded from linux.3dfx.com
and followed the instructions there to the letter.

This is what happens when I run the glide test programs:

-- screenshot --
[staeci at serra staeci]$ /usr/local/glide/bin/test3Dfx
test00:
Clear screen to blue
2.60.00.0415
Resolution: 640x480
Press A Key To Begin Test.
video memory unprotecting
                         Terminated
[staeci at serra staeci]$ /usr/local/glide/bin/testGlide2x
test00:
Clear screen to blue
2.60.00.0415
Resolution: 640x480
Press A Key To Begin Test.
video memory unprotecting
                         Terminated
[staeci at serra staeci]$ /usr/local/glide/bin/testGlide3x
test00:
Clear screen to blue
3.10.00.0435
Resolution: 640x480
Press A Key To Begin Test.
video memory unprotecting
                         Terminated
[staeci at serra staeci]$
-- screenshot --

And this is what happens when I run Unreal Tournament,  it displays the
logo and then opens a window which in the windows version then goes to
full screen mode. I have to Alt-fx to kill it.  It prints the vid mem
line and the screen flicks and then repeats.

-- screenshot --
[staeci at serra staeci]$ cd games/UnrealTournament/System/
[staeci at serra System]$ ./UnrealTournament
video memory unprotecting
video memory unprotecting
video memory unprotecting
video memory unprotecting
video memory unprotecting
video memory unprotecting
X Error of failed request:  XF86DGAScreenNotActive
  Major opcode of failed request:  145 (XFree86-DGA)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (XF86DGADirectVideo)
  Serial number of failed request:  1021
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[staeci at serra System]$
-- screenshot --

The 3d howtos I've read haven't been any help.  Oh and I can run
Unreal Tournament in dedicated server mode perfectly ok.

--
Darrin Mison