[H-GEN] Move Mail from Outlook Express to Linux...

Joel Michael joel at diggy.com.au
Fri Jun 9 00:20:54 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Anthony Ison <anthony.ison at gbst.com>
To: <general at lists.humbug.org.au>
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 3:24 PM
Subject: [H-GEN] Move Mail from Outlook Express to Linux...

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>

> Hi all,
>
> I've just been posed an interesting problem that I am at a loss to
solve.  A
> friend has set up his PC as dual-boot Windows / RedHat.  He would like
> leave Windows for dust, but doesn't want to lose his x thousand
mailing list
> emails that are currently held by Outlook Express.
>
> Is there any way to migrate these emails from Outlook to Linux without
> having to individually save each email?  I am thinking that you could
send
> them all back to a server, but I don't know if that's actually
possible....

> Cheers.
> Anthony

In Outlook Express, if you "drag" the email(s) you want saved to some
folder in explorer, it will save them as <subject>.eml.  The .eml format
is nothing more than .txt in terms of file contents.  you could probably
whack up a fairly simple (perl|bash|sed|etc) script that takes, say, a
directory full of the individual .eml files and appends them to your
mail spool.  something along the lines of "for each .eml file, cat the
file to /var/spool/mail/username, then echo a blank line."  unless
you're using qmail's Maildir, in which case you can just copy all the
.eml files to ~/Maildir/new :)
---
Joel Michael
System Administrator