[H-GEN] Clock Time Loss When Copying Files

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Tue Jun 6 21:55:32 EDT 2000

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Frank Brand wrote:
>

> I wonder if the machine is masking out timer interrupts while doing IO,
> and so losing time.  (Is it a slow machine or hard drive?)  In that case
> it would be interesting to see what the hardware real-time-clock says
> compared to the system clock.  If it is accurate, then you can use it to
> reset the system clock at regular intervals, or you could run NTP.

No I would not describe it as slow AMD K6 2 500, 128 Mb RAM

I suspect that the file transfer by network may make it a bit slow if it has to
share the network link with other machines. I suspect that you are correct in
that it suspends reference to the clock while a long I/O process occurs.

> I think I've heard of it happening using IDE CDROM burners.

This is an IDE HDD.