[H-GEN] Looking for 16Mb 72Pin Fast Page Ram sticks

john rogers jhnboy at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jul 19 14:47:35 EDT 2000

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Frank Brand wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>

> john rogers wrote:
>

> > I do have 2 * 16Mb 72pin fast page (-7) , but I would like to swap for a 32 Mb.
> > which are Just about as hard to buy.   :)
> >

> 32 Mb FPM chips would be very hard to find I expect.I have a few 32Mb EDO's but 32
> fast page are very rare. In the days of fast page 32 Mb RAM chips cost nearly as
> much as a house, so only big RAM servers would have had 32's. I have seen a few of
> the old P66 and P90 State Government servers with 64 Mb RAM but rarely see
32 Mb > fast page...4 or 6 32's from that vintage was a really serious server.

Actually the 32 Mb stick I have is out of a plotter, and they cost more than
houses at the time. :)  it is 100% compatible with 486 PCs

I can still > remember paying around $100 per meg for RAM so a 32 in those days
was worth > thousands. Actually I can remember buying 2 kb (yes that is a K not
an M) in the > old Z80 days when you bought your 16 Kb expansion as 8 x 2 kb
chips for about $50 > at Dick Smith's.

This was the norm circa 89 there was no lament when the first modern 32 pin
sims came out , I still have my IC extractor/inserter. I could reminisce about
the XTs I worked on but I wont.

--
John Rogers
jhnboy at ozemail.com.au