[H-GEN] Emacs configuration hassles

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Fri Jul 28 20:24:54 EDT 2000

Ben Fowler <fowlerb at optushome.com.au> writes:

> I'm trying to get XEmacs to do my bidding but I'm having little luck
>
> I like to indent my code at 8 spaces per tab, so I put something like the
> following in my .emacs file.
> (set-custom-variables '(c-basic-offset 8))
> (add-hook 'c-mode-hook (lambda () setq (c-basic-offset 8)))

These are the custom variables I use to set up my C and Java
indentation the way I want it (which is, of course, the Right Way,
right?).

(custom-set-variables
 '(c-cleanup-list nil)
 '(c-hanging-braces-alist (quote ((brace-list-open) (substatement-open after) (block-close . c-snug-do-while) (extern-lang-open after))))
 '(scroll-step 1)
 '(c-echo-syntactic-information-p nil)
 '(c-site-default-style "stroustrup")
 '(c-basic-offset 2))

My suggestion is to *always* use the Help->Customize dialogs for
this---don't mess with the custom-set-variables by hand, and if you
see `something in this buffer has been changed outside customize', fix
it.

I also see you're using XEmacs.  I prefer GNU Emacs myself, and I'm
not really sure just how much of this advice applies to your
situation, or is applicable generally.

jason
--
When the glitter fades in morning
Turn away and you will find my empty eyes