[H-GEN] make problems

Craig Eldershaw celdersh at parc.xerox.com
Mon Jul 24 12:49:07 EDT 2000

>CorelLinuxP166:/usr/src/linux# ls
>COPYING      Makefile     drivers      init         lib
>CREDITS      README       fs           ipc          mm
>MAINTAINERS  Rules.make   include      kernel       net
>CorelLinuxP166:/usr/src/linux# make mrproper
>Makefile:213: arch/i386/Makefile: No such file or directory
>make: *** No rule to make target `arch/i386/Makefile'.  Stop.

Hi Sarah,

You are missing several directories from your kernal source (the
particular one it's whinging about is /usr/src/linux/arch).  With some
distros (and I think Debian and hence probably Corel is one) include
some parts of the kernel (in particular /usr/src/linux/include and its
subdirectories) with compiler packages (these headers are needed for
compiling some system-level tools).  But it is /not/ a full usable
kernel source.  There will probably be another package containing the
full source (though this may not be the latest), or else you can
download it yourself from your favourite kernel.org or sunsite mirror.

One other thought is than a number disros actually have /usr/src/linux
as a symbolic link to the real directory.  So you may have installed a
real kernel but not be looking at it: try 'ls -l /usr/src' to look for
any other likely looking candidates.

HTH,

C.