[H-GEN] dvds

Paul Gearon gearon at computer.org
Wed Jan 19 08:55:21 EST 2000

staeci at yahoo.com wrote:

> I got a friends panasonic dvd drive to work by swapping my cdrom for it no probs.

Yeah, the computer can't tell them apart.  I can't see the need for
CDROMs anymore at all.

> downloaded the software and kernel patch (2.2.13) from http://www.opendvd.org/linuxdvd.html
>
> but when actually running the command to play it said it was unable to find the first packet.
> I think it was mpeg2player which was saying this.  As far as I can tell it cats the .vob file
> to the DeCSS software for decoding and then pipes it to mpeg2player.

That's correct.

> I'm thinking that it
> was just treating the dvd as a normal cd and so couldn't read the extra layers of the DVD.

Nope, it doesn't work that way.  You can either read the data or you
can't.

Some DVDs aren't actually encrypted, so you DON'T want to use DeCSS on
them.  I can't think of any titles offhand which are like this, but it's
a common "problem" for people trying to play them.  So try it without
DeCSS in you pipeline.

--
Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane
mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I
will
fling an enormous rock at your head.")