[H-GEN] LPD Stops working if internet link is down....

Michael Anthon mca at tams.com.au
Wed Jan 19 01:17:52 EST 2000

What fun and games that was, the telstra box I dial in to was down for about
5 hours today *grrr*

This causes something rather odd on our network.  Print services on the
print server stopped a couple of hours after the link died and came back to
life again when the link came up.  I was doing a tcpdump
(ftp://10.10.10.2/pub/print.dmp) at around the time the link recovered so I
have a record of what was going on, but I can't for the life of me work it
out.

I would really appreciate it if someone could have a look at this and tell
me what stupid things I have done for this to happen.  From what I can see,
the print server (10.10.10.11) is doing a large number of DNS requests for
the root name server information and I suspect that it is this that is
blocking the print services, something to do with checking the IP addresses
of the machine connecting to it.

If any other config files are required I can provide them to the list or
whatever.

Thanks
Michael Anthon