[H-GEN] US Seems to have allowd MS to export 128-bit Encryption

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Tue Jan 18 22:17:14 EST 2000

Hi All,

I thought some people may find this interesting:

Windows 2000 Sends Strong Encryption Worldwide
By Craig Newell, eFront
January 18th, 2000, 7:00 PM

Redmond, Wash. – Windows 2000 will be the first OS to ship with built-in
128-bit encryption internationally under the new U.S. government
regulations, Microsoft Corp. revealed today.

In the past, international Windows users who wanted 128-bit encryption had
to buy additional software. Now, customers can use 128-bit encryption right
out of the box.

"Windows 2000 will be the most secure operating system Microsoft has ever
shipped, and we are excited to be able to further extend this security for
our international customers via 128-bit encryption," said Brian Valentine,
senior vice-president of the Windows Division at Microsoft. "In addition, we
are pleased to have worked so closely with the federal government in
developing a security solution that benefits all international computer
users."

Personally, I wonder how long it will be before someone either releases a
patch to lock the backdoor that has no doubt been installed at the "request"
of the US authorities, or someone releases an exploit for the same backdoor.

Regards,
Hilton Travis