[H-GEN] Java training courses

David Wood dwood at PIsoftware.com
Mon Jan 17 20:22:30 EST 2000

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 03:33:08PM +1000, Byron Ellacott wrote:
> I'm about to start some Java middleware development work, and would like
> to be brought up to speed on Java and Swing.  Can anyone recommend
> training courses and/or books to this effect?  Brisbane, Sydney or
> Melbourne are all fine.

The O'Reilly Swing book is superior.  For Java itself, I think it is
good to take a short(ish) class to get rolling if you are coming from
anything other than Smalltalk or C++.  DSTC has some good ones by
reputation, as does QUT.

There are a million Java books out there and they all suck.  Except
maybe ORA's Java in a Nutshell (2nd ed.), which is aging a little
bit but will get you started.

Once you are into the language, http://www.javaworld.com/ is a decent
technical magazine.  Mostly you'll use the javadoc for the APIs you
are using.

--
Regards,
Dave