[H-GEN] Web page updates

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Wed Jan 5 19:09:20 EST 2000

Raymond Smith wrote:

> A question for the collective. I have a web server with a number of
> (potential) clients ranging from professional Software Engineers using
> Linux to a Writer using Windows98. How should I give them access to update
> their web-pages?

Another option is HTTP PUT: most HTML editors can use this to upload
data, and the geeks can use wget or similar tools.  rtfApachem.  I think
this is better than FTP, in that you don't have to run an FTPd, but less
secure than ssh.

> The simplest way I can see is to chroot the web-server, and allow ftp
> access into the boxen. (What is that foaming sound? Jason?)

chroot'ing it can only be good.

> I have vaguely heard of a thing called WebDAV that is a new W3C publishing
> mechanism?

It extends HTTP PUT to allow file properties, versioning, etc.  I would
still put this in the "interesting to play with" area, though there is
some support in both Apache and Orifice2000.

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Limited       | Teneriffe, Brisbane
 \///         | And now a word from our sponsor...

This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is
confidential information. If you have received this
transmission in error, please delete it and notify the
sender. The contents of this E-mail are the opinion of the
writer only and are not endorsed by Mincom Limited unless
expressly stated otherwise.