[H-GEN] wtmp

W. Sierke ws at senet.com.au
Wed Jan 5 22:29:35 EST 2000

From: Luke Grant <luke at atwww.com>
To: <general at lists.humbug.org.au>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] wtmp

> my question is y would you wish to turn the machine off?

In my case, the office is adjacent to the bedroom, and the noise from the
computer can be quite irritating in the still dead of night. Others don't
want to waste energy unnecessarily, yet others might not care for the
increased risk of electrical fire in the home while their family is asleep.

> most distributions run usefull cron jobs at about 2am.....and not
> just wtmp truncating.

So, my question is... How is that issue addressed in the "Linux on the home
user's desktop" camp? What housekeeping tasks are normally scheduled for
overnight execution when most home users' computers won't be powered on? Are
there any essential tasks that the home user should take steps to ensure
they get run periodically? Reschedule? Execute manually?

How do the commercial distribution producers handle it (and I'm guessing
none probably have)?

Wayne