[H-GEN] wtmp

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Tue Jan 4 01:06:20 EST 2000

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Martin Pool wrote:

> Most systems should come with a cron job to truncate it automatically.
> What system/distribution are you using?  Is something broken?

I've seen a number of Linux systems (both redhat and debian, IIRC)
where the wtmp file has grown to a *ridiculous* size (read:  tens of
megs) with only a month's worth of occasional logins (last | wc -l
shows just a few screenfuls worth) (Brad tells me we've just seen 3M
growth in just 24 hours!).

I don't have a solution for this problem, and frankly it isn't urgent,
after useless files have been cleaned off the disk.

Does anyone know the cause or have a *real* solution for this problem?

jason