[H-GEN] Chance to save a marriage!

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Fri Dec 22 01:36:29 EST 2000

Matt Bodman wrote:

> Ok, so I'm exaggerating a little, but I have just installed Mandrake
> on our PC at home and my wife is sick of Lilo booting into Linux by
> default.  I've tried editing the lilo.conf file but no changes I make
> seem to actually take effect.  Can someone stoop to help a
> lowly-lilo-linux-loser-user??

OK, I think Sandra gets the cigar this time. If you are using Mandrake
7.2 it uses GRUB as a boot loader not lilo. You need to get the GRUB
config files and put the Windows stanza as the first stanza. Usually on
Linux loaders the first stanza in the config file indicates the default
boot system.

>From memory the GRUB files are in /boot/grub directory. But why stuff
around. If you are using Mandrake 7.2 with GRUB you can just arrow down
to boot from windows on the GRUB bootup screen. That is what the
facility is made for why not use it. The implication of putting Windows
as the default boot is not that popular in these parts...it means you
boot into Windows a lot more than you boot into Linux. Teach your wife
to use the arrow (for GRUB) or the tab (for LILO).

If you are not using Mandrake 7.2 but an earlier version using lilo you
can just hit the tab button when the lilo promp appears

LILO:

and this will then display all the possible boots and type in the one
you want.

Hey being a single man again might not be that bad anyway!!
--
Frank Brand
E-mail:- fbrand at uq.net.au
Home Page:-http://www.uq.net.au/~zzfbrand