[H-GEN] Support to change Humbug's constitution.

Rob Unsworth rob at unsworth.net
Thu Dec 7 01:46:41 EST 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Raymond Smith wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Rob Unsworth wrote:
> > As I don't have "Joske's" here at present, I will quote from "Mr
> > Chairman" by Marjorie Puregger. Abstention from voting p70-71.
> >
> > "Members who abstain from voting do not escape all responsibility for
> > decisions made by the meeting. They are still bound by majority decisions
> > when subsequent action is taken. Although there is no legal compulsion to
> > vote, if the Constitution states that a resolution must be passed by a
> > certain percentage of those present, those who abstain from voting may
> > prevent the motion from being passed, and their action - or inaction - is
> > equivalent to a negative vote."
>
> It would seem that I hit reply too soon on your last mail. Sorry.
>
> The key point above is 'a certain percentage of those present'. We do not
> vote on the acceptance of minutes or similiar, only on office bearers
> which do not require a certain percentage as we work by simple competition
> between candidates. In this way the problem describe above will not affect
> us too greatly.
>
> The long term solution may be to have the constitution allow members to
> provide a 'not care proxy' which would be counted for the quorum but be
> excluded from the count for the percentage votes. (Just like articles of a
> company I would guess).
>
> Or, perhaps, just perhaps, we could lower the quorum. No?

You don't vote to accept minutes, why are you bothering about a quorum ?.

Are you serious ?.

Consider the rumblings about increase of members (BRISBUG) suggestions
of promoting Linux etc, if you don't have a clear set of rules and prooper
procedures in place, then it wont be growth and expansion it will be
growth and explosion.

Regards,
Rob Unsworth