[H-GEN] Support to change Humbug's constitution.

Rob Unsworth rob at unsworth.net
Wed Dec 6 23:12:25 EST 2000

On 6 Dec 2000, Jason Henry Parker wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> Rob Unsworth <rob at unsworth.net> writes:
>
> > As I don't have "Joske's" here at present, I will quote from "Mr
> > Chairman" by Marjorie Puregger. Abstention from voting p70-71.
>
> What are these books you're referring to, and how do they have
> relevance to the club?

>From within Mr Chairman...."The meeting procedure in voluntary
organisations follows as closely as possible, but in simplified form, the
procedure of parliament. Years of experience have shown that the most
efficient way to transact the business of a meeting is to have a clear set
of rules, which ensure that every decision is made in accordance with
democratic principles, that minority opinion is respected, and that a few
dominating individuals cannot impose their will on the rest of the group.

These essential rules are embodied in the Standing Orders (or Rules of
Debate), the Constitution and Bt-laws. Their strict observance will help
every organisation to achieve the aims for which it was founded."

>From the back cover "...Is the standard text on meeting procedure in
Australia"

and this, " This new edition has been thoroughly updated to incorporate
all the new procedures which have resulted from law court rulings"

It's an eye opener, when you first discover that the meeting procedures of
the small committee you belong to, are regulated by law.

Regards
Rob Unsworth