[H-GEN] spaces in files

Grant, Luke lgrant at seven.com.au
Tue Aug 29 01:37:46 EDT 2000

hi all,

I was wondering if it possible to get the ext2 filesystem in linux to
automagicaly replace space characters in files with underscores like the QNX
filesystem does?

We have this particularly buggy designer app that some foolish ppl spent
mucho big dollars on and it alows
the client machines to save files containing the space char in their name
but will not open them. It chooses
to crash badly instead. The previous version of this app was written for QNX
which replaces space chars in
file names with underlines by default. The programers odviously didn't know
that the linux file system did
not do this when they chose to switch OS and their responce to my pointing
it out is "include something about
no spaces in your usage policy".

I know i can write a small script to search fr these files and change their
names for me but there will still be
that small window of oportunity for people to crash the system.

Luke

Luke Grant
Systems Administrator
Seven Queensland.